Sweet Trouble

Rants, raves, book reviews and one girl's thoughts on life, the universe and everything.

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

FreeRice

I mentioned it in passing in the last entry, but the phenomena that is FreeRice deserves it's own entry.

Looking for a fun way to kill five minutes online? Trying to improve your vocabulary in order to impress your friends or boss? Getting a handle on the English language? Taking the SAT or ACT tests anytime soon? Want to do more for the starving masses than clean your plate like your momma always told you?

FreeRice.com is for you.

Warning! It's highly addictive, but at least you'll be able to use the word vermicular in a sentance with ease. If you're reading this blog because you're, well, a reader then you may be like me and find pleasure in proof that reading really does expand your vocabulary. The parts of a knights armour pop up occasionally and I think the only reason I know what a pauldron is comes from reading Tamora Pierce's novels. Likewise I can link apostate and mendicant to Jacqueline Carey's Kushiel's Dart and so forth and so on.

So go have fun: You'll feed the hungry and your own mind. Just remember to set yourself a timer.

1 Comments:

  • At 8:08 PM, Blogger Sherry said…

    I am scared of this one, so I'll most likely frequent the other.

    Man, are you smart...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home