Sweet Trouble

Rants, raves, book reviews and one girl's thoughts on life, the universe and everything.

Saturday, September 30, 2006

Kitty and the Midnight Hour by Carrie Vaughn

I often joke about the sudden influx of Urban Fantasy novels on the market right now, especially in the romance department. It seems everyone is trying to cash in on the phenomena. My hubby and I call them "things that go boink in the night" since the worst of them always have a supernatural and a human falling in the sack to have wild monkey lovins'.

The few authors that originated the trend are fantastic to read, but most of the imitators are really crappy; clearly derivative, bad writing, predictable plots and the sort of ridiculous sex scenes that make me gag. You want a good sex scene? Read Linda Howard. Or Diana Gabaldon. They write good romance and great sex without being silly. There's no laving mounds of anything, no throbbing man-flesh or breaking waves of pleasure. If you want any of that other stuff, well, pick up some of those LKH wannabes.

All of that to say I picked up Kitty and the Midnight Hour by Carrie Vaughn at the library yesterday. I really thought it was going to be one of those novels. In fact, I almost didn't pick it up, but the description sounded interesting and it had been popping up on my Amazon recommendations lately. I decided that I could check it out and if it was terrible, well, I didn't have to finish it...a new concept for me by the way.

Kitty and the Midnight Hour is a great book! I was delighted to be wrong, and read the novel in one afternoon. Within the confines of Urban Fantasy the author managed to come up with an unusual and intriguing premise. She gives us a fairly accurate portrayal of the radio profession and sound studios. In addition to that, Carrie Vaughn has clearly done her homework on the wolf behavioral front, and if her vampires seen derivative, well, it's excusable since the rest of the book is so good. The main character doesn't hook up with anything or anyone. She has some sparks with one guy, but they lead more to change and empowerment for our girl, not true wuv . In fact, there's growth and acceptance and all sorts of good character development for Kitty! Maybe I enjoyed it so much because all I was expecting was another supernatural sexorama. Dunno. Still, I thought it was great and I recommend it highly. There's already a sequel, "Kitty goes to Washington," which I hope has parallels to the famous movie it sounds like.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home