Sweet Trouble

Rants, raves, book reviews and one girl's thoughts on life, the universe and everything.

Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Library Blues

Well, I am disappointed in my libary. I've gotten QUITE accustomed to their e-mail reminders of when books are due to be returned. I took three back on Sunday that felt as if they had been around the house a very long time indeed and I was right: they were ten days overdue and cost me three whopping dollars. Now three dollars may not sound like much, but when you figure that it's half the price of a paperback, well. It adds up. Shame on them for not sending me an e-mail. It's all their fault. Money Grubbers.

While there I picked up:

  • A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray
  • A College of Magics by Caroline Stevermer
  • A Scholar of Magics by Caroline Stevermer
  • Bloody Jack by L.A. Meyer
  • Curse of the Blue Tatoo by L.A. Meyer

I think I'm leaving off one that slid under the seat in the car. Forgive me if I don't tromp outside to find out.

I also read The Big Over Easy by Jasper Fforde. It lacks the elegance and whimsy of The Eyre Affair. It's not a bad book persay, but it takes some getting into and even then leaves one rather unfulfilled. Clearly a first novel (he wrote it first but publishers passed on it) and may have been more palatable before learning what he was capable with in the four books that preceded it to print.

The Will of the Empress by Tamora Pierce picks up after eight other novels in her Circle series, but oddly enough is able to stand completely on it's own. Worth waiting for, and more adult than previous entries. This is probably because our protaganists are now 18-ish instead of 10 as they began in the first novel.

Last but not least, my mother bought for me Inkspell by Cornelia Funke, the sequal to the delightful Inkheart. I'll probably save it for a rainy day, or at the very least till after I've read all of the libary books and A Breath of Snow and Ashes which FINALLY came from Amazon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home